What is car insurance?
Car Insurance is meant to protect you if you are responsible for causing injuries to others or damage to their property in an auto accident. It can also provide protection if your car is damaged in a car accident or is stolen. The protection that you have is stated in your Indiana PA car insurance policy.
What does car insurance cover?
At a high level, car insurance typically provides four basic things:
- liability coverage
- coverage for damage to your car or cars
- coverage for medical expenses
- coverage for uninsured motorist
There are a variety of coverage options available.
What are the common car insurance coverages?
Below are some simplified descriptions of common auto insurance coverages. All coverages are subject to the limits, terms and conditions of the actual policy you purchase.
Bodily injury liability coverage generally pays damages for bodily injuries to the driver and passengers of the other vehicle when you are responsible for an accident. It also provides coverage to defend you if you are sued because of an auto accident.
Property damage liability coverage generally pays for damages to another person’s property (e.g. their car) when you are responsible for an accident. It also provides coverage to defend you if you are sued because of an auto accident.
Medical payments coverage generally covers you, household relatives and your passengers for medical expenses that result from injuries sustained in an auto accident. It also covers you as a pedestrian if you are hit by a vehicle.
Some states have personal injury protection (PIP) in place of, or in addition to, medical payments coverage. This is also known as no-fault coverage. PIP can generally pay for medical expenses, funeral expenses, loss of income and other expenses for injuries or death due to bodily injury sustained as the result of a car accident.
Uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage generally pays for damages for bodily injury to you and your passengers when caused by another in an auto accident and the person legally responsible either has inadequate or no insurance. This coverage varies greatly by state. In some states it may be a combined coverage, while other states may offer it as two separate coverages (e.g. one for uninsured motorists and one for underinsured motorists).
Collision coverage generally pays for damage to your car if it hits another car, object, or overturns. A deductible applies to this coverage.
Comprehensive coverage generally pays for damage to your car if it is stolen or damaged by certain causes other than collision, such as fire, theft, hail or vandalism. A deductible applies to this coverage.
What should I consider when purchasing auto insurance?
When you are purchasing car insurance in Indiana PA, make sure you find coverage that fits your needs. Here are some things to consider:
- What is my household salary? What are my assets? How much in savings and equity do I have? The more assets you have, the more coverage you might want to consider.
- How old is my car and how much is it worth? Do I own my car outright or is it leased or financed? The model year and original cost of your car helps determine the approximate value of your car today.
- How much am I willing to pay out-of-pocket? Deductibles are applicable to certain coverages, such as comprehensive and collision coverages. In the event of a loss, a deductible is the amount that you must pay out-of-pocket before your insurance kicks in. A higher deductible could lower your premium.
- Do I have health insurance? Auto insurance can include medical payments coverage for you and your passengers. If you don’t have your own health insurance, you should consider purchasing some type of medical payments coverage on your policy.
- Do I have children of driving age? Children are generally more inexperienced drivers and can present a greater risk on the road. You might want to consider purchasing higher limits of liability coverage if you have children of driving age.
Walbeck Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency that can help you with all of your car insurance, home insurance, and business insurance needs in Indiana PA, Blairsville PA, Homer City PA and surrounding PA areas. Call us for a free quote today.